Celebrating Pride Month With Chelsea Fertility NYC
Every year in June, millions of people flock to the streets dressed in rainbows and glitter to celebrate and honor the LGBTQ+ community. With parades and performances, it’s almost impossible to not get caught up in the excitement and joy. However, in addition to being a festive occasion, Pride Month also serves as a reminder of the LGBTQ+ community’s historic and ongoing fight for equality. It is a time for both celebration and advocacy.
NYC Pride Events in 2021
Last year, Pride events across the country were held virtually, but this year there are some in-person events. In NYC, the official theme for Pride 2021 is “The Fight Continues,” which urges the community and its allies to reflect on the hardships LGBTQ+ individuals have faced as well as the challenges that lie ahead. Many of the biggest events will be held during the week of June 21, including:
- The Humans Rights Conference, a three-day virtual conference held June 21-23 that explores the issues that impact the LGBTQ+ community and focuses on activism
- The Rally, a digital event held on June 25 at 6:00 pm to encourage advocacy for change
- The Frontrunner’s Pride Run, a hybrid event with an in-person 6K and virtual 5K that will take place on June 26 at 7:00 am
- The PrideFest street fair on June 27 starting at 11:00 am
- The NYC Pride March on June 27 starting at noon, which includes a broadcast special on ABC-7, a virtual experience across multiple streaming platforms, and Pop-Ups
- Pride Island, a hybrid event taking place on June 27 at 6:00 pm featuring the Flagship Dance Watch Party at The Greens on Pier 17 in Seaport as well as options to participate from the comfort of your own home.
Family Equality and LGBTQ+ Family Building
On June 24, 2011, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo signed New York’s Marriage Equality Act into law, thereby making it legal for same-sex couples to get married in New York for the first time. In the decade since, LGBTQ+ family building has become increasingly visible and common in our society.
Thanks to assisted reproductive technologies such as in vitro fertilization (IVF), egg donation, and surrogacy, LGBTQ+ couples and individuals have the ability to pursue their dreams of parenthood just like anyone else. Access to fertility care has become an important aspect of family equality. As a member of the NYC fertility care community, Chelsea Fertility NYC is proud to provide LGBTQ+ individuals and couples with the services they need to build their families. We strongly believe that to have a family, all you need is love, and we will always advocate for the rights of anyone to have a family, regardless of sexuality, gender identity, or relationship status.
Happy Pride, NYC!